SUMMER IS HERE.
Prevent sun damage to your hair now that things are really heating up! We are all aware that the sun causes harm to our skin and that spf (sun protectant factor) is a must but what about your hair? Your hair is at risk of fading color, split ends, becoming dry/ brittle and losing shine and bounce. This is all caused by prolonged exposure to the sun breaking down the hairs protein (keratin). Those uva and uvb rays have the power to damage the cuticle (outside layer of a single hair strand) to inner structure of the hair. Ultra violet rays can also break down the chemical bonds found in the makeup of color causing fading.
Here are some helpful ways to be sure your hair looks great, feels great and stays healthy while enjoying the outdoors…
- Prior to going into direct sunlight spray your hair with a leave in conditioner.
- Prior to enjoying a day at the pool wet your hair with a non chlorinated water. Your hair will soak up healthy moisture rather than the chlorine drying it out.
- Allow your hair to air dry once in a while. Using those hot tools along with the dry weather will help assist in the damage.
- Be sure to keep up with your haircuts.
- Accessorize with hats and hair wraps.
- Switch your shampoo and conditioner appropriate to the season.
- Visit your stylist for professional treatments every few weeks.
- Consult with your stylist for the products that best suit your level of dryness.
- Always keep a deep conditioner in your shower and use it once a week.
- Drink water! Stay hydrated!